Search This Blog

02 June 2010

A long-overdue update

Completed construction of the Ten-Tec 40m XCVR. Ran into a few minor issues so the rig is still not on the air. Need to replace an op-amp, do some final testing and tuning then it's time for some serious QRP fun! Major shout out to Garry at Ten-Tec who was invaluable helping me troubleshoot several technical issues.

Also - finally got an outdoor (stealth) antenna in place. Built a variation of KR1ST's stealthy HF coat hangar antenna. My version does not include the coat hangar, but it is identical to KR1ST's otherwise. Works great and can barely been seen, even from the sidewalk in front of the house.

Far superior to anything I had indoors, even up in the attic. Excellent east-west propagation.  It literally wraps tightly around the second storey of my home. Ideally I should add stand-off's to keep the antenna off the house, which is covered with "concrete" siding. Feedline comes into the garage then into a balun with a coax feed to the rig.

Still plan to build either the KX1 or NorCal 40 for my next project.

No comments:

Post a Comment