Search This Blog

03 December 2009

Ten-Tec 1340 kit arrived

The kit arrived on 2 December 2009 along with a free copy of the 2009 ARRL Handbook. I'm hoping to get started this weekend. Still need a DMM but will probably pick one up in the next few weeks.

After building a Heathkit HW-9 many years ago I'm aware of the need to go slow and get it right the first time. I was fortunate to have had a ham friend (now SK) back then who was able to trouble-shoot my finished HW-9 to get it working. I had soldered some components without observing correct polarity and had several solder bridges as well.

This time my plan is to take my time and use K7QO's assembly guide along the way too supplement Ten-Tec's construction manual.

On another note, I had my first opportunity to participate as an FCC Volunteer Examiner on Tuesday evening at the University of Idaho. There were 7 folks taking exams (1 for upgrade and 6 for first-time Technician licenses). All passed, including a couple in their 60's! They had all completed a study course with Harvey Howard, N7SIF from the Palouse Hills Amateur Radio Club in Moscow, ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment