Search This Blog

12 October 2009

15m antenna project

I've been looking for a suitable low-band antenna to mount outdoors in
limited space I decided to construct a modified version of Lew
McCoy's "one-element" 15m dipole. His antenna is intended to be
rotated, but I'm not quite ready for that yet.

So in the meantime I'm building a fixed version that will mount near
the roof-line of my second-storey porch.

This is a very low-cost project which will end up costing under $20
(not including a balun and RG-8X feedline).

The photo shows the main components:
- Thin-wall electrical conduit
- #12 solid copper wire
- 3/4 inch dia. PVC "T" connectors

The primary advantage with this antenna: its low profile. But I'm
adding a significant modification because I need to make the design
even more low-profile by making it possible to reduce the length of
each leg by half so it becomes almost invisible from the street.

The idea is to be able to remove 5' of each leg when not using the
antenna (for me that means daytime).

I'll add photos once I get it mounted. Still need coax and not sure if
I'll build or buy the balun.

No comments:

Post a Comment