Search This Blog

13 September 2009

Preparing to build my first kit

I'm preparing to build a QRP transceiver from a kit. Over the past few months I've been learning about the tools I'll need and gathering tips on building from fellow hams. I'm trying to buy the best tools and equipment I can afford with the thinking that I'll get better results and can avoid buying tools two or three times if I go too cheap. So far I've gotten an ESD -safe Hakko soldering station with adjustable temperature. I've obtained several ESD-safe tools like screw drivers, probes and tweezers that are lightweight and meant for doing light kit construction work. I also obtained an anti-static mat with a ground strip and a grounding clip to minimize electro-static discharges from myself while kit building. My shack is in a room with a pile rug and with the dry air in this part of the country I figure ESD could be a significant issue when I'm assembling electronic kits.

I chose Kester, rosin-core eutectic lead solder over the more standard 60-40 blend because eutectic solders are easier to work with from the perspective that eutectic solders go from a solid to liquid to solid with almost no transitional plasma state.

I also picked up a third hand tool with a magnifying glass which has already come in handy for work in which you need to hold the soldering iron while trying to join to parts. Invaluable aid at the work bench.

My initial goal is to build some small kits before attempting the transceiver in order to perfect my soldering technique.

I still need to purchase a good Digital Multi Meter and am planning to go with a Fluke 100 series (140 or 150). These cost more, but in the long run they are built better and will be the first and last DMM I'll need to buy ever. So it's worth it to me to pay good money up front.

Two more tools I bought: a good paid of small cutters for clipping leads close to circuit boards and a small pair of needle nose pliers for bending leads, reaching into small spaces and picking up parts. Both are ESD safe as well.

More later.


No comments:

Post a Comment