Search This Blog

13 January 2013

New Year, New Gear

I've been behind in in my posts since October 2012. Since then I've added some new gear to the shack. Most importantly, the KX3. What a machine! Really enjoying the features packed into this small SDR rig, especially the fact that I'm now able to do digital modes like PSK and RTTY. The KX3's ability to reliably read RTTY and PSK through its 10 character display is very impressive. Have done two RTTY contests since October.

I often run the KX3 off 8 AA rechargeable cells. They run for hours, even under pretty heavy use at 3W. The rig can put out 5W or more, but I typically run lower.

Looking forward to doing some field operating once the weather permits in spring.

I also now have a Bencher BY-1 paddle, an excellent key.

The KX3 is a powerful contesting rig and its SDR architecture does a fine job of digging weak signals out of a crowd or QRM. I worked the CQ WW CW contest in November from K7SEL and did quite well running 5W to a roof-mounted vertical up about 40 feet. Worked into Europe, S. America, Canada, Mexico and Asia.

I also now have Bose Quiet Comfort noise canceling headphones which work great to shield my ears from ambient noise near the shack. They work so well, my XYL can stand within several feet of my while I'm on the air and be speaking to me, but I can't hear a thing.

Also got my straight key back on their air again and have made a few QSOs with that as well. Really brings back memories of my novice days with a crystal controlled rig and longwire antenna. Still wish I had not gotten rid of my old Heathkit transmitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment